Sunday, April 21, 2013

Who is Aum Dorji Choden

Dorji Choden

Education: I have a Bachelor in Civil Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, India and a Masters in Arts in Public Administration from Syracuse University in the United States.
Brief Personal Narrative: I am Bhutan’s first woman engineer. I have served the government for over 20 years in different capacities, starting as an Assistant Engineer in the Public Works Department.
I have been the director of Standards & Quality Control Authority, and a Commissioner to the Anti-Corruption Commission.
During my tenure as a civil servant, I represented technical and gender issues at the national, regional and international forums.
I have worked with the United Nations in Bhutan after my brief political career during 2008 election. While in the United Nations, I handled the Poverty portfolio, with special emphasis on addressing youth employment and women’s empowerment.
I strongly believe that Social Democratic approach, which embraces inclusive participation and growth, leaving no one behind; at the same time promoting individual goals and free enterprise; is best suited to Bhutan.
I believe that the ultimate aim of the political structures and the systems is to achieve good governance; and country’s peace, security and prosperity hinges so much on good governance.
Although my political career in the first election was short-lived, I have yet again decided to join politics in 2013 with a clear intention of taking forward the young democracy towards inclusive, healthy debates and clean political game.
Druk Nyamrup Tshogpa provides this avenue among other profound principles and values of social democracy, best suited for Bhutan. DNT is grounded on long term vision of ensuring continued participation in the democratic process; 2013 election is just a beginning of the institution’s milestones.
I have joined the Nyamrup team to give my modest contribution in the process. I believe that democracy should strengthen the rule of law, reduce corruption, enhance inclusiveness and participation; and promote teamwork and shared leadership.
- See more at: http://www.druknyamrup.info/president/#sthash.kPeX09cJ.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment